Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day Three

Last night, I had trouble sleeping. My mind was just racing with thoughts, and then translating what of thoughts it could into German. I couldn't stop thinking about how I might say this or that, I think all of the German speaking is making my mind work pretty hard, lol. So, I slept in a little today (my host family was wonderful about it, they're great about everything!) and went to lunch with Andrew after I got up.

The stop I get off to go to Andrew's: Hanz-Thoma-Platz.

This is Andrew's host-family's house. Andrew lives alll the way up in the attic. Beautiful, no?

We went to a place called Kebapzentrum (kebob-center :P) I had a pizza, and Andrew had a sandwich thing and it was all pretty yummy. We had originally planned on grabbing some things from an Aldi and finding a place near the river for a picnic, but ALL German stores are closed on Sunday. Aldi is somewhat similar to a Walmart. It has food, a lot of the food is in bulk, and it has a limited selection of other items such as clothing, etc. The best part: it's really cheap! :)

We met up with our classmates again soon after that and the director of the summer program took us all out for some Italian ice cream. I probably don't even need to tell you how yummy that was. Then, we walked the Philosophenweg (Philosopher's Way). It was a steep, hot and sweaty climb but once I cooled off, I decided it was worth the view. Behold some photos of Heidelberg, taken from the near-top of a hill across the river.

This was the first good, clear view we got. That's the Neckar River. 

Here you can see Schloss Heidelberg, I hear it's the home of the world's largest wine cask. ;)

In this one, you can see the old bridge, the castle, and the gigantic catholic church in the Altstadt.

Me and Andrew, enjoying the view from Philosophenweg. :)

Today was another day I went home with sore feet, but with the added bonus of a bad sunburn. (Anyone surprised?) It doesn't matter much, though, I had a good time overall! :) And when I got home, my host-mother made a delicious meal. I tried some pickled cherry red peppers stuffed with some kind of cheese (yumm) and she also made cucumber salad (Gurckensalat). There was also two other dishes, one vegetarian and one with beans, I don't know what they were called but they too were great. I'm going to eat very well here in Germany. :P I'm so glad I got such a wonderful host-family. We sat outside and ate, and afterwards my host-father took out his guitar and played a couple songs, which was fun! He even sang some in English. :) To top off an already lovely evening, our luggage arrived!! :D :D

Tomorrow is the first day of classes, so I'm going to see if I can't get a better night's sleep than yesterday. Gute nacht, liebe leser!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck with your classes!

    ReplyDelete